Tuesday 27 October 2009

The Economics of Fanboyism

I am fortunate enough to have all the current systems - 360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP. Well, I say all - Sony and Nintendo will be waiting a long time before I buy the micro-update offered by the PSP-Go and DSi. Even longer than it would take to download a PSP game on the laughable 'broad'band that BT pick my pocket for each month....

All the systems have particular advantages (and great games) and all have certain disadvantages (and clunkers). No one system is 'the best' and fanboyism is a self-defeating position that only makes gaming seem juvenile to outsiders.

Without wanting to get all 'Psych 101', maybe fanboys have a lack of self-esteem and need the validation that having 'the best' will give them (hey, maybe their mothers never said that they loved them). Or maybe it is economic - they can't afford to be a multi-system gamer, so need to belittle the other consoles as they don't want to consider them as options?

I think that last point may be a big reason. When I was kid, I had a ZX Spectrum. I/my parents couldn't afford a Commodore 64 (the BBC was never an option - only the posh kids had those). I took the position that the Spectrum was 'the best' but I enjoyed playing on friends' C64s and would have had one if I could. Economic circumstance made me a fanboy - and if that isn't a telling indictment of Thatcher's Britain, then I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment