Friday 11 December 2009

Drink is the Curse of the Blogging Classes

Yesterday was my work Christmas lunch and, as is customary at these functions, I had far too much to drink.  Not entirely my fault - no-one seated near me was drinking white wine and I don't drink red - but it wasn't as if a gun was being held to my head to drink it (the only thing being held to my head was a regularly-refilled glass of white).   So far, so festive, then.  But what, I hear you ask does that have to do with videogames?

Well, I generally draft my posts on the BlogPress iPhone app, which is great for utilising small snippets of time, like a train commute, episode of X-Factor or a boring meeting, for something constructive like drafting a post.  And yes I am aware of the irony of equating 'videogame blog post' with 'something constructive'.  Yesterday morning I missed my train by two flights of stairs and had to get on a slow one instead.  I'd already half drafted a post on a great videogame love of mine, pinball games, covering various games from Pinball on  the Spectrum  to Pinball FX on XBLA and spent the 40-minute train journey completing it.  Or, should I say, nearly completing it.  I'd hacked out a pretty much completed first draft but I generally like to read my posts through a few times, changing stuff here and and there and generally doing what I think  F Scott Fitzgerald used to call 'fannying around with the words', so I didn't publish (you can publish direct from the app).

This morning when I awoke  my Blogpress app wasn't on the front page of my iPhone - I must have deleted it last night.  I think I'd accidentally put it into 'wobble' mode when carrying it and then inadvertently deleted Blogpress, along with iDracula (which is a bit duff, to be honest), Flixster and Instapaper.  Bugger.  I've uploaded them all again from my iTunes account but the data (my pinball post and a very early draft of one on digital downloads) is lost for ever, like Charlize Theron's chances of ever working for FIFA again after last week's World Cup draw.

I've tried to start it again but I find drafting something that I've already written and then lost due to an IT error very difficult, as I try to remember exactly what the lost document was like, rather than writing directly about the actual subject.  I might return to writing about pinball again eventually but I'm giving up on it for now and turning to write about Wii Sports Resort instead. Here's a quick precis of the pinball one,  if you're interested - pinball is good, Pinball FX is great,  ball physics are hard to get right and  I suck at pinball.

No comments:

Post a Comment