Wednesday 31 March 2010

Super Mario Kart on the Virtual Console

As I wrote last year, I have big love for Super Mario Kart on the SNES, what with it being one of the greatest games ever made.  If you missed out on the game or, understandably, haven't got room in your house for a near 20-year old console (I still have mine but then I'm a hoarder at heart), 2nd April 2010 is big day for you.

If you have a Wii, that is.

Nintendo are bringing SMK to the Wii Virtual Console for only 800 Wii points.  I say 'only' - I have no idea what that is in real money.  I have over a 1000 points on my account, all from trading in the Star Points (or whatever they were called) from DS, GBA and Gamecube games, so I've never had to buy any.  Anyway, 800 of them have now been earmarked for SMK.

As I mentioned in my SMK review, I have no problem with Mario Kart Wii - in fact, I was playing it earlier today - but there are a few aspects of it and other, later, versions of the game that can grate.  Chief among those is the Blue Shell, which batters whoever is leading, destroying your lead (particularly if directly followed by another one).  I found it amusing that the promo video  had "before the Blue Shell was invented" as a subtitle, as if Nintendo (or, rather, its European marketing department) were tacitly admitting that, actually, the Blue Shell sucks.  It also shows the Ghost Valley 1 feather-aided shortcut, the best shortcut of the entire series.

I'm not looking at this through rose-tinted retro spectacles.   SMK is still a great game that holds up today  - if you have 800 Wii points going spare, you could do a whole lot worse than downloading SMK.

No comments:

Post a Comment