Thursday 5 August 2010

Alan Wake Collector's Limited Edition unboxing

Pretty much since I started this site, I've been using 'Statcounter' to monitor its traffic.  One of the tools that this application offers is the ability to see which of a site's pages are more popular than others.  I've noticed that  popular pages seem to be those that show an unboxing of a limited edition of game, presumably something that is interesting to those who, probably sensibly, opt for the vanilla version of a game (thereby saving them £5, £10 or more).

I've recently picked up the Alan Wake limited edition online, for a bargain price of £20 (new and delivered). The RRP of this version of the game was £50, so presumably it sold as badly as the main edition, hence the deep discount.

As it's been put for a few months now, I hadn't intended to blog about it but in the  interests of giving people what  they want, this is what is included in the package. 







Inside a cardboard slip file is a large box, fashioned to look like a doorstep-like hardback novel, tying in with the eponymous protagonist's in-game career as a Stephen King-esque novelist.


You can just about make out the 'Alan Wake' signature on the box


The 'book' is hinged and opening it reveals that it is a DVD boxset-style slip case, containing three items.



There's a slim hardback book ("The Alan Wake Files"), the DVD game case and a two-disc case containing the soundtrack CD and the 'bonus disk'.  The soundtrack to the game hasn't really grabbed me while playing (unlike, say, the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack, that I also own having been given the limited edition to that game for my birthday).  Still, it is a nice addition  to the package. 


The soundtrack/bonus disk case.   

The bonus disk includes a few videos about the game and its developer, Remedy and some slideshows of artwork (I haven't looked at these too closely as I don't want any spoilers).  It also unlocks some in-game content  - a commentary for the game (like a director's commentary on a DVD), that can be switched on when you next play the game itself.  Switching this commentary on (in the 'Options' on the main game menu) unlocks an avatar award for your Xbox 360 avatar.  

Two Xbox 360 dashboard themes can also be unlocked through the bonus disk too, allowing you to turn your dashboard into Bright Falls or Elderwood (basically, the same place at daytime and nighttime.  This is the first theme I've ever had, so I don't know if it is a particularly good one but it looked nice enough to me.

The photo below shows Bright Falls and also shows my avatar modelling the game's sole award (jacket & scarf combo).







Cowboy hat model's own


The book is a collection of 'fiction' and 'non-fiction' (though all, of course, fiction) and compliments the characters and action of the game.  The 'author' of the book is a character in the game and the whole authentic-looking (down to review quotes on the dust-jacket) package treats the game as 'real'.

Alan Wake's first published work, apparently


The final item in the package is a code to download the game's first DLC, only released a week or so ago.  This is included in the game case, along with the instruction manual.





Alan Wake is one of the most impressive limited editions I've seen, even at the full RRP.  For £20 it was an absolute bargain.  As for the game, I've played a couple of episodes (the action is divided into a number of 'episodes', like a TV series) and I'm enjoying it so far.  It reminds me a bit of PS1 game Silent Hill and TV programme Twin Peaks (and, continuing the David Lynch theme, the film Blue Velvet).  There's also a 'HP Lovecraft' feel to it, underlined by one of the trees in a forest being signposted 'Great Old One'!  


The complete package




EDIT 13/9/10: I've now played through the game and my review is here.

1 comment: