Sunday 31 January 2010

Left 4 Dead 2 - avatar awards

Last night, after a total of 25 or so hours playing the game, I unlocked the 'zombie hand' avatar award  t-shirt in L4D2. Yes,  I've shot, bludgeoed (baseball & cricket bats, guitar, frying pan), sliced (machete, katana), chopped, blown up (explosives & grenades) and  set on fire 10,000 zombies. My avatar now looks like this -


I have the very t-shirt in real life too, given to me at the Eurogamer Expo.

The medipac my avatar seems so happy to have found was awarded after completing all five L4D2 campaigns.  I don't have one of those in real life.  He does though.

This is the first game I've played that has given out avatar awards and I think it is a good idea for developers to give something tangible (though, paradoxically, virtual) for an action in a game, rather than the solely empirical Achievements. It is also a way for other players to know what the player has achieved without trekking through their gamerscore.

Next up, an attempt to unlock the Depeche Mode t-shirt in the same game, by rescuing a garden gnome. It's certainly what my first thought would be in a zombie apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment